Monday, September 8, 2008

Birthdays

Kelli, my second daughter just had her 31st birthday yesterday. Birthdays or birth days are really important to Mothers. I'm sure that I am not that the only mother that gets a little nostalgic when celebrating one of her children's birthdays. I say to my daughter{whichever one is the birthday girl} "I remember what I was doing{ however many years old they are} today!" I don"t think they really enjoy my reminiscing anymore and I get the feeling that at least one or more is sick of hearing my stories of things that have happened to her Dad and I. That makes me sad because I think family history is so important, but maybe it is only important to me at this time. I am going to tell a little of the story! Anyway, I love thinking about my daughter's birthdays. In Kelli's birth story I always think back to the years before she was born. We had been trying for a while to have another baby, but no success, so on I went to fertility doctors and went through all those unpleasant tests and the emotional roller coaster of doing all this and still not getting pregnant. Finally after tests and more tests I was told that we would not be having anymore children and that I was the reason . After that, I gave up. I stopped the fertility drugs and the trips to the Dr.s. I just couldn't believe it-we had Brenna and I had never considered the idea that there would not be other babies. So, I was sad for about 3 months and then I had another thought.........Maybe......the Dr.s weren't right? Thirty-one years and six months ago you couldn't just go to the store and get a pregnancy test, you had to go to the Dr. and pee in a cup and then go home and wait. I didn't have much hope because I had tricked myself into thinking I was pregnant so many times before and had taken a test each one of those times and they all had turned out negative. But to my big surprise this one was positive! I was so excited and Rob was too, even though he was afraid to believe that we were going to have a baby until he could actually see it! That night I ended up in the hospital having been diagnosed with a cyst the size of a grapefruit on an ovary. I had been in pain all day but had told myself it was because I was nervous about the pregnancy test. Even though I threw up for the next six months and thought that I might die of a heatstroke being pregnant and suffering through an Oklahoma summer, I was thrilled to be having another baby! The day before I was to go into the hospital to have a c-section, I was a nervous wreck. I tried to make some food ahead of time that Brenna and Rob could have while I was in the hospital-I burned everything to a crisp-all inedible! We didn't know if we were having a Kasey, Kelli or a Patrick but it didn't matter to us. Kelli Lynn arrived September 7th in early morning. We were thrilled! She was so beautiful! I am so happy to have had this precious infant, adorable toddler, sesitive child, crazy teenager, wild young woman and now a good Mom to 2 precious girls for these past 31 years. I can't imagine my life if those Dr.s had been right with their diagnosis.

3 comments:

sweetb said...

I love your stories! Especially now that I am a mom. And I love the this story too. So sweet.

Cow Pies & Mud Pies said...

Great story Kathi....thanks for sharing.
Leslie

KELLI MC said...

Of course we love your stories we have retold your stories to people all our lives and continue to do that so whatever lady!! and you know I think this is interesting because it kinda what happened with Kinsey. Thanks for writing about me and for helping my Keelin with saturday I loved it. I wish my eyes were not so annoying!