Friday, September 12, 2008

9-11

I was in Nashville yesterday and I did not hear or see anything to remind people that it was the 9-11 Anniversary. The only thing that I saw was the front page of USA Today. I didn't see any flags on buildings or anything out of the ordinary. It was very disappointing to me. That September morning has left a crystal clear picture in my mind of what we all should never forget. I heard the beginning of what took place that day from the mouth of a 4 year old. He walked into my classroom saying "Mrs. Fisk, did you know that an airplane crashed into a big tall building? " It was around 9 am. I asked Dalton "How do you know?" He told me that he and his Grandpa had heard it on their way to school. In the next few minutes another parent confirmed that had really happened and told us where. We had a radio at school and I was able to hear what happened next. I immediately thought of Rob and where he might be. I knew he was flying somewhere that day but I couldn't remember when and where. I frantically called his office and found out that he had not left for the airport yet. I was relieved. but he could not be convinced of what had happened and insisted that he was still going to fly out on his business trip. I remember feeling so frustrated. I couldn't talk very long as I had a classroom of 4 year olds waiting on me. I then thought of Kelli. Kelli had just moved to Baltimore and was 7 mo. pregnant with Keelin. And then Erin and Joe.Panic set in as I was thinking that I had to find out where my chicks were. I can always rely on Brenna to be calm and talk with sense so I went back to the office to call her and have her call her Dad and exlain what had happened and to make sure Kelli was Ok and that Erin and Joe had not been on a plane yet,because they were supposed to fly out of Dulles that day. I was afraid that maybe they had tried to come home early that day. Brenna had not heard what had happened. I told her to turn on the tv but they had just moved and the tv was not hooked up yet so she turned on the radio . She was shocked but agreed to make those calls to her Dad and sisters and then let me know if they were all accounted for. When she called back I was so relieved that my chicks were ok[ Brenna included]and also that she would be at home when I finally was able to get there.I wanted to go home so bad and be there with her but our director thought it best for the children if we just continued business as usual. I remember hearing on the school radio at one point that planes were falling out of the sky and that the New York skyline was completely gone and burning. That day, I had one parent come to pick her child up early.That was the last time that I saw that child and her mother. Her mother called back and said that she could not bear to have her child somewhere that she couldn't get to in a few minutes. I completely understood. My children were grown but I wanted them near me in case something like this happened again. I could hardly stand that Kelli was living so far away and I wanted Erin and Joe home that minute. I wanted them in front of my eyes so that I could see that they continued to be all right. I didn't believe that having 4 planes crashed and all those people killed was the end for the terrorists. I was waiting for the other to shoe to fall then and I still believe that it will sometime.

2 comments:

KELLI MC said...

i think it is weird not more parents came to get their kids. i would hauled ass there to get my kids cause you didnt know what was next!

Natalie said...

I wanted to thank you for the advice about Alex. Great idea. I just have to get busy doing my research.
I was at home in Washington on 9/11 and my hubby called to tell me to watch the news. I was watching a romantic comedy at the time and remember thinking, "should I watch the news or the movie?"
The news won.
I also remember thinking 'my kids should know what happened on this historic day' but then wanting to protect them from it too.
I found out recently that one of my good friends from high school was a nanny for a family whose dad died in the NY crashes. The kids had lots of issues after that. It was so sad.